[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGvswaKqeQQ?rel=0&w=650&h=366] Answering the prayers of many KI fans, Iron Galaxy used EVO 2014 to released loads of details on Killer Instinct Season 2 and even revealed a new character, Maya! The developer has a lot of new features, characters and improvements in store for the Xbox One-exclusive fighting game: Shown above is IGN's full recording of the Killer Instinct panel at EVO. To spare you the trouble of watching all 40 minutes of it, here are the most notable takeaways:
- Season 2 will be "bigger and badder" than Season 1, bringing to KI more substantial features and modes, such as new ladder systems and a prison system that actually works. There will be a lot more content.
- Season 2 will greatly build on Season 1’s story
- There will still be eight new and returning characters (nine, if you include the combat-redesigned Shadow Jago), with Amazonian warrior Maya being the second character to be revealed (TJ Combo was the first). Each character will be different (e.g. no reskinned characters with similar gameplay and moves) in their own unique way.
- Returning characters will undergo changes, while Fulgore will get a few tweaks that will make him more accessible. There will also be selective adjustments for certain existing characters, indicating that the broken character-specific combos (i.e. Sadira's infinite loop web combo) will be fixed.
- An 'Air Counter Breakers' mechanic will be introduced, and all characters will be able to utilize it. It compliments the previously announced "Aerial Recapture" system that allows players to rack up combos from the air to the ground (basically, you pull an airborne opponent to the ground so that you can beat him/her up more).
- Iron Galaxy promises to do a better job with season 2 classic costumes, which will be as close to the originals as possible.
- Like the old KI games, "Stage Ultras" will be back, but there will be no violent "fatalities."
- The rank limit will be raised above 40.
- Season 2 will be bundled in much the same way as Season 1. You can buy bits of it at a time or everything at once.